枪友会

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 入门 指南 攻略
查看: 1746|回复: 4

[新闻案例] 转:How many gun owners have actually stopped a crime from being committed?

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

2万

积分

元老枪友

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

积分

NRA终身会员携枪执照

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2017-6-16 05:22 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
https://www.quora.com/How-many-gun-owners-have-actually-stopped-a-crime-from-being-committed
最有意思的是:It turns out that the Castle Doctrine which was signed into law was submitted by a Senator at the request of my Dad. Ironically, he would be the first person to test its validity through the court system.
正文:
My dad owned a gunstore. One night in 1988, a vehicle was deliberately driven over the curb, across the sidewalk, and through the front doors and protective gates of his shop. Several firearms were stolen in this “smash and grab” robbery. While this type of robbery is common today, it was a phenomenon that was just starting up in Rhode Island in the 1980s. He replaced the doors and filed reports with the police and insurance companies. A week later, he was robbed again exactly the same way!
Now, there was a problem. The door companies in Rhode Island did not have any more sets of replacement doors. He had no choice but to stay at the store and guard it 24 hours per day until the replacement doors came in later that week. He fixed the doors up the best he could (they could close but could not lock), set up a folding bed, and basically lived there, sending for take out and watching TV.
A couple of nights later, he couldn't fall asleep. He went into his office to do paperwork. An hour later, he heard a loud bang and the building shook. He grabbed his Colt Government Model .45 (loaded with Korean War surplus ammo) and ran out to see another car crashed through his front door and a man running inside. He yelled at him to stop but the man kept on advancing towards him. He raised his gun and fired twice until the attacker stopped advancing. The first bullet hit the intruder in the chest, the second entered his wrist and then traveled up his arm and out the back of his neck. He then fell to the floor, dead.
Rhode Island had just passed a Castle Doctrine onto law a month before. (A Castle Doctrine essentially says you may not have to retreat from your dwelling if it is invaded or attacked. It is similar to a “Stand Your Ground” law.). Unfortunately, that did not stop the police from arresting him and charging him with murder. They claimed it was premeditated and accused him of “laying in wait”. They set the charge at murder instead of manslaughter because he fired twice and not once. The arrest was further motivated by the fact that the victim was black and my dad was white. Think of it as racial profiling in reverse. In effect, he became the first test case for the new law.
It didn't work. The public backlash against the police was incredible. Associated Press got wind of it and took the story national. Public support for him was overwhelming. A defense fund was set up by his vast network of friends and had collected thousands of dollars in only a few days to pay for legal representation. The case was taken to the grand jury, who took less than 15 minutes to find him innocent. The cops were incensed, but there was nothing they could do. Their final humiliation occurred when the American Federation of Police Officers presented him with an award for his bravery in our state house rotunda. NO LOCAL or STATE POLICE were in attendance.
Here are the links to 2 articles that were published about the incident. One of them is the Associated Press article.
Edit: It turns out that the Castle Doctrine which was signed into law was submitted by a Senator at the request of my Dad. Ironically, he would be the first person to test its validity through the court system.
**I have recently made a couple of accuracy edits in my post. The correct number of times my dad shot the intruder was twice and not three times as I originally remembered and originally posted. The award he was given was from the American Federation of Police (not Sheriffs). (I apologize for these errors…it has been nearly 30 years since the incident happened. It took a search for the newspaper clippings to validate those two facts.)

人逢大事有静气

主题

2万

帖子

13万

积分

国宝枪友

少林寺驻武当山办事处大神父上校政委王喇嘛

积分

开坛元勋NRA终身会员三枪客认证教员携枪执照

沙发
发表于 2017-6-16 06:37 | 只看该作者
When You're Up To Your Nose In Shit, Keep Your Mouth Shut. -Jack Beauregard
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

5万

积分

国宝枪友

积分

三枪客携枪执照

板凳
发表于 2017-6-16 07:34 | 只看该作者
This is the News Title should be instead of CNN's

"Georgia fugitives caught by armed homeowners"

https://www.google.com/search?q= ... by+armed+homeowners
LIFE IS GOOD
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

2万

积分

元老枪友

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

积分

NRA终身会员携枪执照

地板
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-16 20:07 | 只看该作者
CiTY_HuNTeR 发表于 2017-6-16 08:37
给你加一个今天的case

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/georgia-inmates-manhunt-capture/index.html

人逢大事有静气
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

2万

积分

元老枪友

▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

积分

NRA终身会员携枪执照

5#
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-16 20:08 | 只看该作者
X-PGH 发表于 2017-6-16 09:34
This is the News Title should be instead of CNN's

"Georgia fugitives caught by armed homeowners"

这就是CNN!
人逢大事有静气
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

触屏版|枪友会

GMT-8, 2024-4-19 04:52 , Processed in 0.028308 second(s), 19 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表