枪友会

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 入门 指南 攻略
查看: 759|回复: 3

[zz] Do civilians with guns ever stop mass shootings?

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

2万

积分

元老枪友

积分

开坛元勋

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2015-10-5 09:48 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

By Eugene Volokh

Still, for whatever they are worth, here is a list of some such incidents (which deliberately excludes killings stopped by people who were off-duty police officers, or police officers from other jurisdictions, at the time of a shooting, as well as some other cases which struck me as borderline):
1. In Chicago earlier this year, an Uber driver with a concealed-carry permit “shot and wounded a gunman [Everardo Custodio] who opened fire on a crowd of people.”
2. In a Philadelphia barber shop earlier this year, Warren Edwards “opened fire on customers and barbers” after an argument. Another man with a concealed-carry permit then shot the shooter; of course it’s impossible to tell whether the shooter would have kept killing if he hadn’t been stopped, but a police captain was quoted as saying that, “I guess he [the man who shot the shooter] saved a lot of people in there.”
3. In a hospital near Philadelphia, in 2014, Richard Plotts shot and killed the psychiatric caseworker with whom we was meeting, and shot and wounded his psychiatrist, Lee Silverman. Silverman shot back, and took down Plotts. While again it’s not certain whether Plotts would have killed other people, Delaware County D.A. Jack Whelan stated that, “If the doctor did not have a firearm, (and) the doctor did not utilize the firearm, he’d be dead today, and I believe that other people in that facility would also be dead”; Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux similar said that he “believe[d] the doctor saved lives.” Plotts was still carrying 39 unspent rounds when he was arrested. [UPDATE: I added this item since the original post.]
9. In Pearl, Miss., in 1997, 16-year-old Luke Woodham stabbed and bludgeoned to death his mother at home, then killed two students and injured seven at his high school. As he was leaving the school, he was stopped by Assistant Principal Joel Myrick, who had gone out to get a handgun from his car. I have seen sources that state that Woodham was on the way to Pearl Junior High School to continue shooting, though I couldn’t find any contemporaneous news articles that so state.

Eugene Volokh teaches free speech law, religious freedom law, church-state relations law, a First Amendment Amicus Brief Clinic, and tort law, at UCLA School of Law, where he has also often taught copyright law, criminal law, and a seminar on firearms regulation policy.

主题

帖子

2万

积分

版主

积分
沙发
发表于 2015-10-5 10:01 | 只看该作者
被stop了就没有那么多人命来制造大新闻,我认为天然被低估。当然,我没有数据。拍脑袋的。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级枪友

积分
板凳
发表于 2015-10-5 10:12 | 只看该作者
现在媒体只会追逐gossip和breaking news  这些压根没人花心思去挖掘报道了哎
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

4万

积分

元老枪友

积分

NRA终身会员三枪客携枪执照

地板
发表于 2015-10-5 11:27 | 只看该作者
逆袭的骨架 发表于 2015-10-5 10:12
现在媒体只会追逐gossip和breaking news  这些压根没人花心思去挖掘报道了哎

反枪是媒体的主旋律啊。不少新闻媒体的工作人员即使是拥枪的,在节目里也不会大胆说出自己的观点,理论上新闻是自由的,如果不是以此为生的话,不幸的是新闻工作人员都是以此为生的
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

触屏版|枪友会

GMT-8, 2024-9-21 09:43 , Processed in 0.031927 second(s), 24 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表